Friday, January 21, 2011

Kids!!! and It's Friday!!!!

And you know what that means...............I get my once a week coffee and I'm loving it!!!  Right now though, I'm sort of using it as a medicinal device.  Coffee seems to be the only thing that makes my throat feel better.  At the moment, I've got no voice left whatsoever.  Still not feeling much better and after my basketball game yesterday I didn't do my body any favors. 

As far as the challenge, I see BigMac and MK finally came alive.   Good to see you guys (gals).   How has everyone else been doing???  My excuse this week is, it's hard to focus on much when you don't feel that well.  I'm still going to weigh in today though. 

My youth basketball team (5th/6th graders) had their first game yesterday and they WON!!!!!!  They didn't win any games last year and yesterday they won 32-18.  I was so proud of them.  Kids are such a blast to coach.  They have no idea the value of what their doing right now.  I think athletics plays an important role in developing the character of a child.  It teaches a kid to work as a team, it teaches them the value of working hard toward a common goal, it's great for self esteem (depending on the coach), it's great for a ton of things.  And as a coach, it teaches me the importance of a child.  When coaching little kids, who does winning ever matter most too???  The coach and the parents.  The kids, win or lose, really don't care.  They are out there having fun.  That's what it should be about.   Before the game, I wrote in big letters on my hand, "TEACH".  I didn't want to forget why I was out there.  I had three kids at the beginning of the game that didn't want to play.  By half time, they were begging to go back in.  That is what makes it all worth it. 

Kids are awesome at living in the moment.  They're not worried about tomorrow and most likely theydon't even remember yesterday.  Wouldn't we all benefit from their example??   They have little to no expectations in others.  They're just happy being loved.  '

I don't want to stereotype here, nor do I want to offend anyone, so if I do, I'm sorry.   I spend a lot of time down in Whiteriver.  I really love and enjoy the people down there, at least the ones I get to work with.  When I go to a patients home, quite often the little kids there are just running around having a good ol time.  Many of these kids are being raised by grandparents.   Most aren't living a life of luxury, nor do very many of them have a ton of "stuff".   They don't have the Wii's, the DS games, Xbox, etc.  They are outside playing ball, playing with sticks, heck even crawling under horses:).    My point..............kids don't need luxuries to find happiness.  Kids don't care about that stuff.  They live life to the fullest whether they know it or not.  Again, a happy kid is a loved kid.  Shouldn't we all be the same???  When it all comes down to it, if we weren't all so selfish, feeling loved is really what we should base our happiness on. 

No comments: