Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year

So did you come up with some New Year's Resolutions?  I've got a pretty good list going and have it all on my phone so that I can remind myself everyday what I should be working towards.  I'm not the guru of goal making, but the one thing I know and believe is that if you don't write them down, you're not too serious about reaching them.  When writing them, you have to be clear and precise.  For example, you can't just write, "Stick to my diet".  You need to break it down.  What kind of diet, what exactly are you going to allow yourself to eat?  Give yourself rewards for reaching certain mile markers.  If I make it through a week successfully eating everything I should and avoiding the foods I shouldn't eat, I reward myself with my favorite Starbucks' drink on Friday mornings. 

I think I mentioned this earlier but if dieting is one of your 2011 goals, you really can't look at it as a diet.  Most people think of dieting as a punishment or some brutal passage they must go through to look better in their clothes.  You've got to look at it as lifestyle change.  My office manager told me a saying that I really like, "Nothing taste's as good as skinny feels".    I know I would feel better 10 lbs lighter.  I know I feel better when I'm eating better.  2011 is going to be a good year.

One more thing while writing your goals.  Define ways on how your going to reach those goals.  One of my goals is to keep my work car and personal car clean.  It's a small goal but it drives me crazy getting in my car and I've got stuff in every seat.  So I'm setting aside some time every Saturday to clean my car and have it ready for the week.   For each goal you set, you should have a detailed plan on how your going to reach that goal.  Find ways to stay motivated, avoid getting back into the rut of daily life.  Step it up in 2011.

More and more entries are coming in every day for the Weight Loss Challenge.  It's going to be a fun competition.  Remember, most of us will be starting on January 3rd but if you haven't signed up and want to, you have until the 15th of January.  Ok here's the first give away.  The first person to send me 3 of their goals for 2011, I'll send you a $20 gift card to Starbucks (if you don't drink coffee, their caramel apple cider is awesome).  Either comment to this post or send me an email (mail@alphaoxymed.com).  Sign it with your Challenge User Name, be sure to include your email address.

Have a great January 1!!!  It's cold!!  It was -8 at my house at 7am this morning.  Good day to watch hockey and football and drink lots of hot tea. 

No comments: