Monday, January 31, 2011

You ready???

What happened to Saturday and Sunday???  It wasn't super busy, had to go to Whiteriver twice, Snowflake twice, and Heber once.  From the sounds of it, Hospice was very busy this weekend. One of my calls was to pick up some equipment from a patient whom had passed away.  This one was a bit heartbreaking, then again, most of the hospice pick ups are heartbreaking. 

I believe it's fair to say that in a typical marriage, the man is usually the strong one.  When it comes to losing a loved one though, especially a spouse, I've seen so many husbands completely fall apart.  When I arrived at the patients home yesterday, the husband met me at the door.  I could tell he was trying to be strong.  I do my best in these situations to make the family member feel as comforted as possible, but I'm not sure anyone can say anything to take away the pain of losing a lifelong companion.  Remember that many of our older couples today made it through so much more than we have ever had to deal with.  From World War2 to the depression, they stuck with each other through thick and thin.  When I looked in the eyes of this older gentleman, I could see that he was feeling an enormous lost.  While he had family there with him, he looked so alone and so scared.   I realize this is how life is, but sometimes it's just so hard to understand.  I'm sure many of you have seen it, especially in older couples.  When one passes away, it's not long until the other one wants to journey to the other side.  I saw it with my grandparents.  When my grandpa passed away, my grandma was so lost.  At the time, she was in good health, but over the next year, I saw her health deteriorate quicker than it ever should have. 

Whatever you may think happens after death, I'm not sure if it's ever easy to deal with.  Old or young, God has His own plans.  I rarely understand them and sometimes completely disagree, but with my pee sized brain, I can't even begin to fathom the power and beauty of something or someone so Majestic.  This could lead to a whole other conversation, but do you ever wonder "am I ready"??

This video is pretty extreme, but it really makes you think...........Scares the crap out of me.

1 comment:

Bikini Bound said...

thanks for the perspective