Thursday, January 31, 2013

Do Something

How many of you have seen the homeless girl that rides (or pushes) her bike around town?  The one that I believe has a little black dog with her.  Have you seen her?  Have you ever stopped to talk to her?  How about offer her something?    I haven't. 

It bugs me that I haven't even attempted to offer her anything.  I think about it every time I see her, but in this case, "it's the thought that counts"  just doesn't cut it.   Do you ever wonder if God puts these people in front of us to see what we will do?   Do we step up and do something, or do we just go about our happy and content lives?  I'm guessing for the most of us it's the latter. 

I read the news on my phone every morning (I know, it's pathetic).  I read Fox, I read NBC, I even read the Wall Street Journal if I can find the time.  Lately though, I can barely even force myself to read any of them.  I'm so tired of all the bad news.  All the shootings, all the politics, the hate, the anger, it's almost an epidemic of sorts.   Then after complaining about it to someone or anyone who will listen, I can't help but ask myself, "what are you doing to change it?"    For the most part, absolutely nothing.   I try to smile and I try to makes those around me smile, but that's about it.  I pray alot and I mean a whole LOT!!  But is this enough?  I don't think so. 

I think I mentioned this last month, but after the Sandy Hook shootings, our pastor said something that really made me think.  If you're like me, you asked or wondered, where was God when all this was taking place?   The one big responsibility that God has given us is that of free will.  We're free to screw up, we're free to try and follow in Christs steps, we're free to believe in whatever we want to believe in, and we're even free to deny that there even is a God.  The question isn't where was God, the question is where were YOU? 

There's a song by Matthew West that really describes what is expected of us.  Here's the story behind the song "Do Something".    Or you can click here to listen to the song.

We all bitch and complain (and I'm guilty big time) about everything going around us, yet what do we do to change it?   We all want a better world, we all want peace, we all want happiness, yet I think we all get stuck in our own little lives so much that we forget about everything that's going on around us.   Do we fear stepping out of our comfort zone?   Do we fear what others may think?   Do we fear the outcome?   We live in an unbelievably selfish world.   As Americans we are so blessed yet we still always seem to want more.  What the heck!!!!!!  Gonna get on my soap box for a second.    Remember when the economy was great?   During that time, at least around here, everyone one had toy haulers, every one had quads,  people were buying houses, toys, cars like they were going out of style.  Then whammo, the economy tanks.    We give a whole new meaning to "keeping up with the Jones".   Why do we do it?  Because we think "I worked hard, I deserve it!"     Uh I don't think so.   I know lots of people that work their butts off, but barely have a pot to pee in.  Don't they deserve luxuries too?   Wanna know something, we are all blessed with a lot, but we are also expected to something positive with what we are given.   I do believe that if we fail to do something with our gifts, they will be taken away.   I believe that I have been blessed with an amazing company.  An amazing chance to make a difference in the lives of so many.   Sure I would love to one day have a Ferrari in my drive way, but I just don't think that's in the plan (unless one of you  friendly souls buys it for me:) ).  We are all give far greater responsibilities then just ourselves.  We are all given just one human experience to make a huge difference, shouldn't we all make the most of it? 

I guess what I'm saying is that instead of a take take take mentality, shouldn't we focus on more of a give give give mentality?   Do we really need all the "stuff" that we have?   Only in America could the storage unit business be so successful.  We have so much crap that we need to rent storage units to put it all in.  I'm guilty of that very thing (though we're working on changing that, anyone what a brand new Sleigh Bed (I think it's a queen, email me and it's yours).   How many of you use your garages for your cars:) ?   Or is it full of stuff? 

Ok I'm getting way off track.  The point I'm trying to make is, quit complaining and talking and start doing.  Help someone in need, pay it forward!   Expect nothing in return and tell nobody about it.  Give something away.  Give your time (this is something I really need to work on).    The blessings will be returned ten fold.  I have no doubt of that. 

I'm on call tonight, so I best call it a night.  Hope you all have super day tomorrow.  It's Friday!!!  

My wife asked me tonight, "who's in the Super Bowl" and ya know what, I had no clue!!!   What kind of guy has no idea who is in the Super Bowl?   I honestly haven't watched one game this year.  I can tell you though who is fighting this Saturday Night on pay per view:)  . 



No comments: