Monday, January 21, 2013

Driving Nascar!!!!

This weekend I had the opportunity to do one of the funnest things I have ever done, drive a Nascar race car.  It was a Christmas gift from my wife and if you are ever wondering what you can get your hubby for Christmas.....oh my gosh it is the best experience ever.  Even better, I got to do it with my brother.

I had no idea what to expect, but the night before I was as nervous as I am for a bike race.  I slept very little and got up at the break of dawn.  Being that the first hour of the day was going to be in a classroom, my brother and I left the hotel first then our families met up with us later in the morning at the track.   The program is called the Rusty Wallace Driving Experience.  I believe its the only program of its kind where you not only get to drive alone in the car, but you are encouraged to pass cars in front of you. 

During the hour long class you are taught what to expect in the race car and how to stay safe on the track.  Top speed for us was going to be around 150mph.  Frigging fast!!!!!   Our instructor proceeded to tell us, "when you screw up here,  you leave in an ambulance",  needless to say we paid attention.  We learned the proper way to hit the corners and to maintain our lines in and out of each corner.   It was a ton of info in just one hour.  

After the class, there were a few of us that had paid to ride 3 laps with a pro before we drove the car ourselves.  I had no idea what to expect.  Now as a "rider" (not a driver), you're only buckled in  with a typical harness.  Meaning the rest of your appendages fly wherever they may go.  So when my turn was up, I climbed through the passenger side window, some guy buckled me in.....and Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once on Pit Road we went from 0 to 150 in like zero seconds.  The G forces are just incredible.  Whatever isn't buckled in is being pushed against the side of the car.  We hit a top speed of I think around 180!!   The first lap was a major rush.   .  It was like no rollercoaster I had ever ridden.  I could not believe how fast these cars were.  Unreal.   Now my brother, who has racing in his blood was even like "holy crap, can I really drive this thing?"

Once the ride along was finished, we waited for our turn to get in the cars we were gonna drive.   I'm a huge fan of the movie "Days of Thunder" and guess what............that's right, my car said "Cole  Trickle".   It was the real deal from the movie.  My brother ended up the 18 car right behind me (this is not good because when my brother is behind me, his only goal is to pass me). Ok, Ill never look as cool  and Tom Cruise did, but I sure felt it:).   




My brother was in the #18 Interstate Battery car.  (Is there a such thing as an ugly Nascar).


Once we get buckled in, and I mean buckled in.  It's not like being the "rider" in the ride a long cars, you are buckled in beyond belief,  Hans device and all.  Once you are buckled in you have very little movement and if you are claustrophobic you are truly starting to reconsider things at this point.......(one guy did and said "no way") 

The Hans Device keeps your head from snapping forward if/when you hit the wall like a torpedo.  Odds are Dale Earnhardt would still be alive had he been wearing one.  

Starting your engines...........OMG what rush!  You push in the clutch, turn  your fans on, and flip the switch.  It is the coolest sound ever.  Loud and awesome!!   We follow the pace car out (it's a pretty fast mini van:) ), by the time we are off of Pit Road we are in 4th gear.   The little mini van hits 90 mph like its nothing.    There are no mirrors so I have no idea what's going on behind me except that I know my brother is back there somewhere.   Every driver has ear pieces in so that we can hear our spotters.  We can hear all the chatter but we can't talk back.  I hear "Cmon #18 get up there, your sitting in another zip code".   This was my brothers number and I knew he was planning to slingshot past me once the pace car pulled off. 

After 3 laps behind the pace car  and completing our passing drills, the pace car pulls off and the race is on.  130 mph like it is nothing!!   My goal was to stay in front of my brother.................not happening.  My brother fears very little and crashing a race car isn't one of his fears.   By lap 4 I hear on the ear piece "be patient 18"  not a second later he passes me.............by lap 9 he laps me.  Remember, I'm doing at least 130, he was hitting the limiter (keeps the car from going too fast) at 155mph.    On this round we ended up doing 16 laps.  16 laps of the most fun I have ever had.   So much fun that once we were done, we paid for 16 more laps:).    I ended up in the Lowes 48 car and my brother ended up in the #20 Home Depot car.  Again he lapped me:)    

The day ended up being a family event.  Both our wives and our kids (those big enough) went on a ride along.   Each and everyone of them had a huge smile on their face as they climbed out of the car.  It is by far the most fun you will ever have on 4 wheels.   I'm sure it's different when you making a living at it, but dang, to get paid millions of dollars to have that much fun would rock!!!

They only come to Arizona a few times a year so it's not quite a chance of a lifetime, but it's close.  They will be back in March and I'm already trying to talk my brother and a few friends into doing it again.  Can't wait!!!!!

 Me trying to play Cole Trickle as I get in my first car.
 My brother and I after he kicked my butt on track. Doesn't he just look like a bad ass?
 Coming off of Pit Road in the Lowes 48 car.  Sorry Jimmy Johnson, I made you car look bad.
My brother in the Home Depot car.   The boy is fast!!


One more thing real quick.  While my brother and I were waiting for our first turn on the track,  there were 5 other drivers before us.   One was in the 21 car.  This car was flying.  I don't know how fast he was going, but we were all impressed as we watched this guy just fly into the corners with ease and look like a jet coming down the straight away.  When finished, we watched him pull into the pits, turn off the car and slowly climb out.   We were all blown away.  This guy had to be at least 65 years old.  Even had these "old man" loafers on with his racing suit.   He was sporting the biggest smile I have ever seen.  Pumping his fist in the air saying "damn now that was fun".    It was the best sight!   Had we all been on  the track at the same time, this older guy would have whooped  us all. 

So if you want to have a great time or get your husband the best gift ever, go to www.racewithrusty.com
No doubt you will have a blast.  Can't wait for March!!!


1 comment:

Whiting Family said...

Glad they took the training wheels off for you :)