Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Insecurities

Well that last post was just a bunch of mumbo jumbo.  I couldn't quite put into words how little Keevan just made a tough night a ton easier...............and he didn't even realize it.

Another busy day today.  I didn't get home until almost 7pm.  I had a new patient out in the middle of no where on a crazy amount of oxygen, so we had to come up with some creative ways to meet the patients needs.  Due to lovely HIPPA laws, I won't go into detail, but lets just say, it was a very interesting evening. 

I'm not sure how to approach this topic without just jumping head first into it.  I can't tell you all how much I want everyone to succeed with this challenge and I really want to find ways to help you all do that very thing.  Most of you, I don't think I know and because everything is pretty much confidential it's hard to say if I know you or not.   With that said, I want everyone to feel free to send an email or comment (I'll only post comments with permission) if your struggling with the weight loss.  I will do my best to help and if I can't I'll find someone who can.  I've got lots of friends in low places so I'm sure I can dig up some answers somewhere. 

I guess my bigger question would be; does the extra weight make you insecure?  If it does, believe me, you are not alone.  Being that I'm really not overweight, one might think "this guy doesn't even have a weight problem, how would he know what it's like?"   Let me tell ya, I may not have a weight issue, but I'm the king of insecurities.   Some of this will be humbling to share and a few of you who know me already know some of this stuff, but if it will allow you to accept the fact that I really want to help then that's all I'm after.  So after reading this and you see me walk into the hospital or into your doctors office, don't point and laugh at any of the things I disclose on this blog.  Even better, say hi! Don't be so stuck up!:)   

Remember the "Hot and Hairy" name that Thunderthighs gave us?  As I said earlier, I'm far from the "hot" part of the equation.  I got all the hair.  Now that I'm older and discovered the amazing product of "men's nair" (God Bless the inventor of that stuff) it doesn't bother me as much, but it will be a cold day in you know where when anyone sees me without a shirt.  This has been a problem for me since I was in college (for some weird reason, I was hairless up until then).   Honestly though, I hate it.  It sucks.  In college I used to love to swim, but hellooooooo, one would look like a complete idiot swimming in an indoor pool with a t-shirt.    So while most college students were sleeping, I would get to the pool at 5:30 in the morning and do my laps.  The only people at the pool at that time of day were usually the old people and they could give a crap what I looked like.  

It gets even better (and I'm sure thunderthighs is really going to give me a hard time after this).   Remember, I've been racing bikes since I was 14.  I'm a ton slower now then I used to be, but in the spring and summer, my legs are shaved.  So if you want to have nightmares for the rest of your natural born life, close your eyes and picture that.  A hairy guy with shaved legs.   This just proves that God has a major sense of humor.  If I didn't laugh at myself in the mirror, believe me, I would cry like a baby:) . 

I've got more insecurities to share, but I think I will only humiliate myself so much in one post.   But honestly though, accept the issues you've got, and if they are changeable (as mine are with the blessed Nair), then change it.  If weight is the issue, CHANGE IT!!   Sure, dieting sucks!! It sucks big time, but just think of all the positives if you were to reach that goal!    I have these long sleeve shirts in my closet that look horrible on a guy that weighs 180lbs, but I think they would look pretty good on a skinny ass man at 165 pounds.  I'm sure there are clothes that you would love to get back into.  It's totally possible,  you just need to want it bad enough. 

Whether it's for looks or whatever, there are many other positive benefits (is there a such thing as a negative benefit) to losing weight.   Do you have knee pain?  Back pain?  Diabetes? High blood pressure?  If so, just think of the money you would save in medications!!

Why do I worry about my weight?  I don't know my real dad, but at one time I was told he was pushing 300lbs.  I do know he has diabetes.   I gain weight easy and I really don't want to go down that road.  I don't want to feel 50 years old when I hit the big five O.  I've got a 4 year old kid that I still have to coach through little league. 

Do you snack all day at work?  Can you honestly say you snack because your hungry?  Most of us are far from starving.  We eat because we're bored or because it's convenient.  Soooo, dump that candy drawer!!  Grab a bag of baby carrots, cut up some celery, find something that isn't made of sugar or flour.  

You've got to want it and I know most of you do.  Just commit!!!  If you want to email, send it here.   I'm gonna start visiting more of your offices a little more often, so if I don't know you and your competing, let me know.  I'd love to hear how your doing. 

Well I best call it a night.  I'm wore out.  Hope you all have super day tomorrow.  Good night and God Bless.

No comments: