Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Getting Old!!

I think I'm going to try and get a bike ride in today. It's supposed to reach 60 degrees so I'm going to make the most of it.

My wife and I went to the gym after work yesterday and afterwards I asked her "do you ever feel really old while working out?". Christy has genetics on her side so most things seem to be a little easier on her then they do on me (as least that's my excuse). She can run 4-5 miles not hurt either during or after the workout, me on the other hand, I wouldn't be able to walk for days. Last night I did a half hour on the spinning bike then did a small workout on the bags (push ups, crunches, jumprope, bagwork, then repeat). I was only 15 minutes into the bag workout and dang, I was exhausted. My back hurt, my legs hurt, ugh it was just frustrating.

I've mentioned this in the past, but it's an honest fear; I fear getting old. It scares the crap out of me. When I was looking at those pictures from the day I drove the racecar, all I could think of was "I look more and more like my "older" uncles everyday. I look like an old chubby turtle. It honestly bugs the heck out me. Years ago, I was a teacher for a couple of years before opening up AOM. Last night at the gym, 6 of the young guys that were there were my ex students!!

Like many of you (I really hope I'm not alone) I wonder what the heck is the secret to youth. There's got to be a way (short of surgery) to feel and look younger (now I sound like a mabeline commercial). Remember the days when you could go out, run, jump, and play and not feel a thing? Is it possible to get that back? I'd like to think it is at least partially possible. I refuse to think otherwise, because if I do then I'm giving in to getting old and I just can't go there. I've got the rest of my life to feel old and right now that is a feeling that I really want to put off.

Anyway, those are my thoughts for this morning. I'm fighting "old"!! and I don't want to lose!! Funny thing is, as I write this, my back is killing me:).

Have a super day. I'm going to go take my Geritol and warm up my walker. :).

See you all later!!!! I'll let you know how the bike ride goes (if I can find my cycling shoes).
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: