Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Mydietitian.com

I'm hoping everyone is doing well with their diets.  In years past, I've noticed that once people lose their initial 5-6 lbs the weight loss seems to slow down, frustration starts to grown, then people just give up.  Don't let that happen!!!!  You have to refuse to quit!!!  Stay focused on your long term goals. 

I called  a friend of mine the other day who is a nutritionist at ASU.   I wanted to know if he would offer up some of his services for the weight loss challenge.  He's super busy (he has 3 other jobs) so I didn't expect much. 

We spoke a little about dieting, the struggles, the successes, and he said, "wouldn't you be more likely to watch what you eat if you wrote down everything that you ate each day, even better, wouldn't you be even more careful if you wrote down what you ate and you shared it with someone?  Go one step further, wouldn't you be more careful about what you ate if you wrote it down, shared it with someone, then that someone gave you feedback?" 

I'm thinking most people, if they were completely honest, would eat so much better if they recorded and reported everything they ate each day.   I soon found out that Rick (my good friend) just became part owner in this new start up business called mydietitian.com.    I can't believe someone hasn't thought of this sooner.  It's not free, but I'm sure for what most of us pay in coffee every month, you could manage to afford it.  I think it's an amazing program.  They have a variety of plans that will fit any budget.   Even better, they are going to give our Challengers a discount on the premium plan. The major difference with the premium plan is the amount of feedback you get from a dietitian.  With the premium plan, you get daily feedback and an evaluation at the end of each day.   If you are interested, shoot me an email and I'll email you back the code you need to use when you sign up for the program.  Instead of the 79.00 fee, you will get a month for 59.00.  Even better, if you have an android or I Phone, the entire program can be accessed with your phone. 

I can go even one better then that.   The first person to email me how many calories are in a gram of fat, a gram of carbohydrate, and a gram protein I'll give you a 3 month trial at mydietitian.com.  That's  a $180.00 deal!!! 

AOM is actually going to start offering this program to our patients.  We in the medical field are great at treating the problems, but how often do we try to eliminate or lessen the actual cause of the problems?   I realize from a business standpoint it's probably not a good idea, but it's the right idea.   Rather then making sure someone is using their oxygen or being compliant by using their CPAP/BiPAP, wouldn't it be great if we could get them off of these machines?  To give someone who has been on oxygen for years,  their freedom from all the tubes and machines that they have relied on for so many years....... what a great feeling that would be.  As health care providers shouldn't that be our long term goal?  

I'm also working on bringing in a wellness coach.  I may be thinking a little optimistically, but if we could get our patients on some sort of exercise plan, we could help them regain their health, improve their quality of life, and even possibly get them off of some of their medications.   Right now it's a work in progress, but it's something I  really hope to have in place by this Spring.   

Ok it's getting late and I'm not even close to being prepared for tomorrow.  You all have a super evening. 


No comments: