Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Little Keev

Yesterday was just brutally busy.  I never made it to the gym which made the day that much more crappy.  My drivers have been super busy the last two days and instead of doing my work, I did my best to lighten their load (though I'm sure they think I didn't help very much) by doing some deliveries myself.   Though it's the most labor intensive, I think my drivers have the best job out of all of us.   Spending time with the patients can literally be life changing.  You get to hear some amazing stories.  We had one gentleman (one of my favorites) who has sense passed away, but the guy was 6' 4" and he was a turret gunner in World War II.   He had some great stories to tell.  

Anyway, yesterday was just plain crazy.  We were going non-stop all day.  I think my guys have set up a total of 9 hospital beds in two days and that's not counting the ones they have picked up.   This is also on top of taking care of our oxygen patients, delivering wheelchairs, etc.  

By the end of the day, my head was pounding.  One of those headaches where you just want to lay in a dark room and go to sleep.  Well Christy was working late so laying down and going to sleep was out of the question.  Tonight, dinner, homework, and bath duty was in my hands.  Fortunately for me, the two older boys are fairly self motivated so I didn't have to do much.  Coby (my 10yo) has a guitar lesson today so him and I spent an hour practicing the guitar (I'm learning too).

 Laundry was piling up, so I did my best to get past the headache and started throwing clothes in the washer then hanging and folding the ones from the dryer.  This entire time, little Keev would poke his head in the laundry room and say "I love you daddy".   Periodically he would come in and try and help.  He would pull clothes out of the dryer and try folding or hanging them.   Not feeling up to par, I would ungratefully say, "it's ok Keev I got it".  Again, all he would say is, "I love you daddy".   My head was pounding and I did my best not to get frustrated.  I just kept plugging away and every few minutes he would repeat, "I love you daddy". 

After everything died down, with the exception of my headache, Keev and I sat down to watch some cartoons.  All I could do was sit there and think to myself, what an awesome little kid.  Then out of no where, he hops up and says "daddy will help me with my pajamas, I'm going to go lay down with Ryan" (his older brother).  So he ran into his room, grabbed his spider man pajamas and ended up insisting that he didn't need help. 

Keev is  99% daddy's boy.  The other night I was called out to a patients house at 8:00pm.  I asked Keevan if he wanted to go and he didn't hesitate.  He didn't make it half way to the patients house and he was out cold.  It was funny though, as he was talking non stop then suddenly I heard nothing.  It was as if a switch went off.  He went from talking, talking, talking, to ZZzzzzzzzzzz. 

Early in November, I took Keevan and Coby to the ball field to throw the baseball around a little.  Keevan who of course, thinks he's ready to be signed with a major league team, is always ready to play.  Well, I was working with Coby on his batting and coming around the dugout is Keevan. saying "ok daddy, I'm ready".  I looked over and this is what I saw:

I had some boxing headgear in the truck and apparently he thought it was a batting helmet.  I could do nothing but laugh, but he was completely serious (and the way I pitch, the head gear was good idea).

This little guy just makes my day every day.  He's an ornery little cuss sometimes, but for the most part, he's got a huge heart and is as loveable as heck.

By the way, the day at the ballpark was a blast.  These two boys get a long so well. Notice he found the right batting helmet:).


I'm blessed some pretty great kids!!  If it's not snowing on Saturday and not too cold, Ryan and I are going to go ride the Big Lake Climb, anyone out there want to join us? 



 Always trying to help



No comments: