Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Indoor Training

The only way I can think to describe yesterday is,  frustrating.  Between dealing with computers, some employee related issues, accreditation stuff, and lack of motivation to work out, I was pretty uh, ya frustrated.   It took all I had to talk myself into going next door and riding the trainer for a whole 20 minutes.

I did fine as far as eating though.  Breakfast was celery and peanut butter, for lunch I had grilled up a chicken breast before work and mixed that into a salad (no dressing), and for dinner (you will love this), I had a banana and an apple with peanut butter:).   I know, I know, not the best choice of food, but after the sort of crappy day, I wasn't going to ruin it even more with a ton of calories. 

For those that didn't participate in the challenge last year, I wanted to explain what I'm talking about when I mention riding an indoor trainer. 

This is an indoor trainer.  Also known as a wind trainer. 


It is the most boring form of exercise on the planet.  You sit there, pedal your butt off (no pun intended), and go no where.   In an effort to keep cyclist from going nuts from boredom, some companies have developed some pretty good videos to watch while riding. 

These videos can take the rider through a variety of different workouts.  From interval training to endurance training, they can really take the monotony out of riding indoors.  It's that or set a gun next to you, because if you spend too much time on the trainer, you may want to use it. 

They make these same kind of videos for treadmills as well, but I have no idea how good they are.  I think Spuds bought one last year but I haven't heard how good it is. 

The most difficult thing riding indoors is dealing with the boredom.  Some will read a book, but I think you get a much better workout when your watching some sort of bike video.  Fatty has come up with a cool little challenge called the the 100 miles to nowhere.  People from all over the globe compete in this little friendly battle from the luxury of their own homes.  You pretty much set up your trainer, then pedal away for a 100 miles.  The cool thing though is your not limited to just the trainer, I've seen some people go round and round in a cult a sac:).  Now that would be brutal.  At least indoors you could watch a few movies:).   I believe 100 miles takes around 5 hours so that's a long time to not only sit on a bike, but to sit on a bike and go nowhere:). 

So now that your all educated on indoor bike trainers, go out and buy one (you get what you pay for) and join me in the suite next door.  We have a big TV set up as well as plenty of videos.  My wife and another gal meet up here at 5:30 am on Mondays and Wednesdays and my  12yo son and I are going to start doing Wednesdays and Fridays in the evenings. Anybody is welcome to join us, all you need is a bike and a trainer. 
Its a great workout.

No comments: