Wednesday, January 18, 2012

To be grouchy or not grouchy................that is the question.

 How much of your mood do you think you can control?  Is your mood a completely conscious choice?  

Yesterday as I was pulling out onto the highway heading for the office, I realized (at least mentally) that I needed a major attitude change.  I wasn't grouchy, but I definitely had room for improvement.  As a guy, I probably really can't use hormones as an excuse (though I do think they play a role in some way or another).  But when you can't find a reason for not being cheerful..........it all sounds really pathetic.

I've analyzed and over analyzed this.  If you workout in the morning, is your mood better in the morning?  I happen to think it is.  At the moment though I don't have the time to work out in the morning.  But even then, I don't want to rely on a workout to make me cheery when I'm not feeling....well...so cheery.    Nothing bad has happened, work is good, family is good, so why be so "blah"?   

Every morning (it's about to happen) at about 8 am, Steven (one of my drivers) walks through the door just singing away.  Good day or bad day, the guy makes a conscious choice to be cheerful, at least that's what he leads us all to believe.  He could be having a really crappy day, but he sure does a good job at hiding it. 

I've had employees that I never knew what mood they were going to be in when they walked through the door.  Believe me, they had no problem showing it either.  These people drive me crazy!!  Which leads me back to the original question.............Is your mood a conscious choice?    I'd like to think that at least a portion of it is.  You have complete control over your attitude and I think with a good attitude, you're more likely to have positive control over your mood.  On the flip side, if you have a crappy attitude.................you're pretty much just an ass to be around.   People with crappy attitudes can just take the life right out of you.  So what do you do with crappy attitude people..................short of beating the crap out of them........keep them away!!!! 

So why not, when were all having a grouchy sort of day, just change our attitudes??  Life is too short to be so miserable.   Attitude is a conscious choice.  You either run at life with a positive kick ass attitude, or you can spend your life looking like Eeyore (this is a whole other subject).

So good mood or bad mood, this may not be controllable, but the attitude in which you approach it is. 

I'm writing this from a very personal perspective today.  I pulled a muscle (no clue how) in my neck so today I'm walking around like Frankenstein unable to turn my head.  Which in turn puts me in a crappy mood.  Within myself, I hate being grouchy.  I don't like being around grouchy people and I know people don't want to be around me when I'm grouchy.  Heck, I don't even like being around myself when I'm grouchy.

I've realized though that I'm not going to let a stiff neck, work issues, people issues, whatever issues, dictate the attitude in which I approach the day.
So with that said, I hope you guys have a great friggin day:)



Side note.........Steven just walked through the door.............and he's singing:) 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this post as I have pondered this since the time my grade school teacher posted a quote in her classroom. Cant remember it verbatim...something like "When you allow someone to affect your mood, you are giving them absolute control over yourself" Who wants to be controlled by another? I can't stand when people say things like "She makes me so mad". SHE didnt make you anything. YOU allowed it! I try very hard to teach my kids this very principle and it is still a work in progress in my life.

I think it all comes down to joy. Do you have an underlying "joy" in your heart? One that cant be robbed no matter your circumstances? Are you thankful for all life has given you? Or do you dwell on what is bad? Joy is not the same as happiness. People cant be happy all the time, but I believe they can be joyful regardless.

Thanks for the post...good food for thought!

Also, I noticed you read Kristen Armstrongs blog....the most recent one is great, especially for your participants in the weight loss challenge!

Good luck with your neck, Frankie!

Pedaldork said...

Thanks for the posted comment. I couldn't agree more. Joy truly comes from within.

I did read Kristin's latest post. Love the "I would but......"

We're all full of excuses. To do, or not to do.....