Thursday, January 5, 2012

Past the Exterior

Great meeting with my staff this morning.  I know I go on and on about how much I love these guys, but they really are the best. 

In talking about our customer service, Keith made a grade a point.  It must have been a quote from somewhere, and it's being said as elderly person, but goes something like this, "don't see me for the food that's dribbling down my face, but see through that and see the real me".  

If you work with the elderly, in nursing home, or even in a hospital or rehab center then you know what I'm talking about.  It's our responsibility to see past the disability or the frailty.  It's our responsibility to make those people feel like they are the most important people in the world.  They still have minds and they still have hearts and more often then not, they have some amazing stories. 

So often in the health business, we get so busy with all the logistics, that we forget why were really there.   I have a quote in my office that says, "They don't care how much you know, till they know how much care".    That is so unbelievably true. Isn't it the best feeling when you find a nurse or doctor with a ton of knowledge, yet they also have a heart as well?   

We all know the health care system is broken.  I don't have a clue as to what the fix is, but it sucks that most of it revolves around profits.  I realize without profits we would all be out of business, but our Western society puts such an emphasis on the almighty dollar, that if we weren't so selfish we could realize we could care for people and still all live very satisfying lives.   But no, we all want the world at the cost, many times, of others.  

Do nursing homes care for the elderly because they care for people or because theyre looking for big profits?  Now I don't want to confuse the employees with corporate ownership.  I believe employees are there of course for a paycheck, but they also care for the people.  The people writing the checks on the other hand..................

The world would be such a better place if we could all just give a crap about others.  Something I'm going to write about later, our ability as people to judge what we see, but never to consider what is behind the scenes.  We are so quick to judge others that we fail in trying to understand them. 

Ok I'm done rambling, I'm not even sure what all I just said, but my point is this..............Try to see past the exterior.  Everyone has something to offer. 

Note: I just went back a re read what I wrote.......I sure hope it makes sense, because it sure sounds like a bunch of rambling to me.:)  Have a great day.


No comments: