Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Major Change

I'm having to make some major dietary changes.  For some this may not be much of a big deal, but for me it could be a big challenge.  Why am I changing?  Well the neck pain and stiffness hasn't subsided much at all and its progressed to the shoulders and even my knees.  It just so happens that I started a regimen of Pravastatin around the first of the month.  I can only conclude that this is what is causing the neck pain.  My cholesterol was 259 so I really wasn't going to argue with the doctor when he prescribed the medication.  I guess, my naive self just thought, oh the miracle drug, now I can eat what I want. 

Well that's pretty much an idiotic way to to look at it.  I decided to look further into the medication and at the same time, a friend sent me a website of one of the side effects, "rhabdomyolysis".  Now among the million other possible side effects, I didn't need much convincing that even following a strict diet is much better then any possible side effects of this drug.  I was told when it I initially started the Pravastatin that muscle aches were the biggest side effect and that a supplement of CoQ10 would help.  Well I've even double up on the CoQ10 and it's not helping much at all. 

So after talking to a few professionals and doing a small bit of research, I've decided to go Vegan.  Only for a brief time initially though.  My plan (and I've been told this will work) is to go the next 4 weeks on plant based foods while also supplementing with Red Yeast Rice and some other supplement but I forgot the name of it.   From what I understand, this is based on the research done by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn.  I've read a few of his studies and it's pretty impressive. 

I love beef.  I love hamburger, I love steaks.  We buy a black angus steer every year from Rominger Beef so we currently have a freezer full of naturally grown, yummy beef.   I guess it comes down to weighing the consequences.  I don't want to be the 50 yo guy that dies of a heart attack.  Heck, I've got a 3 year old that I have to get through little league.   So, this change isn't only for me, but for those that depend on me.   My dad has had 2 heart attacks and he hasn't changed one single thing.  He still eats like crap and smokes like a chimney.  To me, that's just selfish.  Nothing wrong with killing yourself slowly, but first take a look at those it's really going to affect.  

So moving forward, I'm anxious to see how this goes.  The only down side is just the psychological part of missing eating meat.  Other than that, everything leans on the upside.  My first goal is to get rid of the neck pain and headaches.  Hopefully everything else will follow.   We shall soon see.  Today I brought sugar snap peas for snack, and salad with a veggie burger patty for lunch.  Yum Yum:)  .  I shall keep you posted with my progress.  






No comments: